Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Team O'Neill



My papa repeatedly said that he owed my mother everything; that without her his life would have been nothing. He frequently worried about things being good enough for her. That she deserved the sun and the moon which he attempted to give her figuratively; and literally in jewelry that has the sun and the moon on it. My papa said that my mom taught him how to have fun; I think my papa taught my mom to believe in her own ability to do anything she wants. He may have regretted the amount of self confidence she eventually had; because he liked taking care of her and he liked that she used to need him to do that. I'm not sure at the end who was taking care of who.

My parents liked to dance. And my papa was a good dancer. He enjoyed the music and the drama of a ballroom; the beauty of the experience, while my mom took care of counting and knowing how to help move around the floor; all while making it seem that he was leading. It is an analogy for their marriage really. The waltz is hard but their foxtrot together was perfect. My parents song was Moon River.

My mom and papa met the first time in a parking lot. He was the counselor. She a brand new teacher. She was not sure where she was supposed to go; he was running late. Later that year she lost her temper with a student and she got really worried that she shouldn't have. She went to talk to the principal who was out. My dad the counselor reassured her that she shouldn't worry; he would take care of it. And he did, he always did.

My mom and papa were a good team. And I know that she's not sure how to be just one person on what has been Team O'Neill. But I know that she can do it; and I am confident that my papa is waiting. He always waited for her. While she was on the phone with me; while she was trying on clothes; while she made dinner...on and on. And he never minded. He is waiting patiently then and now.

I think what sticks out to me most is that he loved her so. And while her room mate Linda said, "What does he want with you?" when Linda answered the door for their first date. My papa to the very end knew that quite possibly, he was the lucky one.

My papa passed away Saturday July 25. He will be missed every single day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Liz -

As always, I LOVE your blog entries and as as always, it has brought tears to my eyes. I know when I start to read your blogs, I will need a kleenex.

What an amazing tribute to both your mom and dad. Your dad will live on forever in you, Barry, and Will.

Hugs from 1,000 of miles away!
Sarah

Becky said...

I wish I had the words to express myself so well as you do. It is good to have good memories and to think fondly of the of we love. Thanks for telling this story for the rest of us to read.