Monday, July 19, 2010

A symbol of independence

"Mickey Mouse is, to me, a symbol of independence. He was a means to an end. He popped out of my mind onto a drawing pad twenty years ago on a train ride from Manhattan to Hollywood at a time when business fortunes of my brother Roy and myself were at lowest ebb and disaster seemed right around the corner. Born of necessity, the little fellow literally freed us of immediate worry." - Walt Disney

I have been thinking a lot about how it is that I have found our adventures in Disney World a healing process. I think that it has something to do with being a family, and having something to look forward to. I think it has something to do with going to a place where it is expected that you will smile. But when I read the previous quote, I thought maybe Walt Disney said it best. Perhaps it is about freeing yourself from worry. Allowing the worry and the fear and the sorrow to fade away. Whether it the Mickey flag outside our house, the sticker on my car, a photo on my desk, or this blog. Mickey has become a reminder to be happy. A "symbol of independence" Today I head to Iowa City to talk to our doctors about adding to our family. It is exciting and scary. They will advise us about the best route to take and whether or not it is wise; we trust them. Mostly I find myself grateful that we are feeling independent enough from our tragedies to move ahead in whatever direction life takes us.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

thinking about you, joe and will. Hope the dr's give you good news.

Unknown said...

Also thinking of you - give me a call when you have a free minute!