Monday, May 31, 2010

Reconciling the cost of travel...


Joe and I were married a long time before we actually started to spend money on traveling. We took a lovely honeymoon in 1999 to Las Vegas and then didn't travel again until 2005 with the exception of one trip that I nearly forgot, until just now, to Door County. But anyway, I digress. We would always decide that if we were going to spend THAT much money that there was something else we would rather own. Something that would last forevor instead of just spent in several days or even a week. And then, October 16, 2004 I was in a pretty bad car accident. And I can remember Joe saying to me that I couldn't die because we after all had never been sledding together and we had never been on a cruise. So obviously I did not die, and on October 16 2005 we went on a perfectly timed wedding cruise to the Bahamas with Royal Caribbean. Joe's cousin was married and many of Joe's family was in attendance. We are pictured here with Chad (Joe's brother) and his lovely wife Heather. Only while we were out to sea we got hit by Hurricane Wilma. Hurricane Wilma was the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin On the bright side our 3 day cruise got extended to 4, as we could not return to land...Florida had been evacuated. On the not so bright side, nearly everyone on the ship threw up. On the brighter side for me, I did not. But despite Hurricane Wilma, and maybe even because of Hurricane Wilma, I caught a bug for traveling...and I realized that it is absolutely worth the money. That you are in fact buying something that lasts forevor. A memory. Even if its the memory of vomit in the elevator.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! While we haven't been able to travel as much recently - Russ and I have the exact same train of thought! I would rather have the experiences together as a family (or even as a couple) then a "thing". Even if it is just a short weekend away. I have decided that when possible that is what I am giving the kids for their b-days. This year we took Joseph to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore - stayed at a hotel - got to go to the aquarium - that was MUCH more meaningful to him than a bunch of toys he doesn't need and in a year or 2 will just end up in the Goodwill pile anyway.

Liz said...

I think its an awesome idea to give your kids "travel" as a birthday gift! Paricularly when they are too little to know what they want anyway!