Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Magic of Healing

In the last several months my husband and I have found it necessary to look for ways to heal. Anyone who knows us, knows that one of us is a lot more verbal than the other. While Joe has found healing in home improvement and video games, I have found healing in reading and vacation planning. Initially I found that I was really only interested in books that dealt with grief and or babies. My librarian friend recommended The Year of Magical Thinking, and then later I read House Rules. Both of these books helped me to see that I am not alone. And then there is vacation planning. Upon our return to real life, Joe's brother and our sister in law immediately let us know that we needed to take a vacation. They generously suggested that we use their time share to go somewhere that would heal our hearts. Where else we thought, than Disney World? We discussed driving, we discussed 2 days or 3 days or 4. Ultimately Joe looked at me and said, "we've been through hell, we're going to see Mickey damn it." So in just about 17 days, Joe, Will and I are flying to Orlando Florida for seven days in the sun. We have a five day park hopper pass, reservations for character meals, and an itinerary that leaves little time for anything but magic. I could not be more excited. Just after planning this trip we ran into some local acquaintances that I now dare call friends, who are what we will refer to as the Disney Experts. The Disney Experts inspire and encourage everyone to find the magic in the World. I have become addicted to their blog and live vicariously through their magical adventures. I have found their spontaneity and joy in life and travel and family to be a reminder that there is magic all around us and that it is important to not forget that; especially when you are down and out. The Disney Experts have inspired us to book a second trip to the World for this coming November so that we might enjoy Micky's Very Merry Christmas Party, and even a Disney cruise for November 2011. While there are ups and downs, sometimes within an hour or a day or a week, I am finding that friends, hobbies, fun with my family, and anticipating good things to come help make each day easier.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I just read your blog and my heart melted. Im soooo thinking of you right now and you and your family are in my prayers. God has great things in store for you. Hugs....and let the magic begin. ♥

Judy Ferguson said...

I loved reading your blog. Hope your family makes many memories at Disney World. You deserve it

Heather W said...

Liz I too enjoyed reading your blog. I hope you guys have a wonderful lil vacation. You deserve it. All my love and prayers to you and your family.

Abby Kiple Logan said...

You'll have a GREAT time at Disney! Will is the perfect age. Enjoy every minute.

Lynn Shankster said...

As long as you're both healing and you have each other to draw on when the down times hit, you'll be fine. Will will make sure your hearts keeps healing.

Unknown said...

Just read your blog Liz, I am so glad you can write abuot it to help withthe healing process. I am reading House Rules right now.. I can't put it down. Prayers to your family.