Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Total buy in


I've been reflecting on what makes some people enjoy Walt Disney World more than others. Whether you are talking about children or adults, some people just seem to have a better time there than others. Some people don't really get it; while others seem to not be able to get enough of it. And, I'm thinking that it has to do with your amount of "buy in". Not buy in, in terms of cost, but buy in, in terms of fantasy. For children, it may be about going at the right time, before they are too old to realize that the mouse is not ACTUALLY a mouse....and for adults, perhaps it is whether or not they can really let themselves pretend. We decided to go to the "World" to find our smiles...we had lost them. And when we got there, I just decided to let go of my reality and to just pretend to allow the fantasy to overtake me. Now, I am not sure if I did this was on purpose or by accident...but it was something about this meeting with Sully from Monsters Inc., taken in Hollywood Studios that really made me realize it.

Following Lauren's birth Will and I must have watched Monsters Inc about 50 times. It is a Disney children's movie that I genuinely like...and he and I would watch it again and again. It was a movie that I would sit in front of; sometimes watching, and sometimes just sitting, and sometimes thinking and sometimes not thinking. An escape from my world into a different one, with Will holding my hand and the comfort of the cool and the dark of our basement lulling me into a sense of calm. And, so on this very sweaty day in Walt Disney World I could not have been happier to see Sully. It was wonderful to see my old friend, and in that moment I think I actually believed it was good to see me too..again, smiling. You might notice, Will is not in the picture. He is smarter than me perhaps, he is in his stroller tired of having his picture taken..actually saying to me, "no more pictures." I'm not particularly fond of the picture. I think I look fat, Joe points out that he is as big as Sully himself, which makes us laugh...but the funniest part was when I realized later. It was a man in a costume. It was a MAN in a costume. But I had such complete buy in, so overtaken by the fantasy...that I believed we knew each other and that he was happy to see me, and that he was happy to see that I had found my smile. I wonder, what it is that makes some other people love the World, and what makes other people not like it so much. Two of my friends confessed that their husbands hated the Magic Kindom, the most....some other good friends really had to readjust their expectations upon arrival due to heat and crowds and wait times for lines...I would love to hear from friends about what makes vacations magical and what makes them less than magical. Anyone??

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are right - it is the buy in - can you just let it go and make it your world. Of course I have never been - but that seams logical to me. :)

Once again your entry has me in tears - so happy for you and the wonderful vacation that you, Joe and Will had, but then sooo sad when I think of why you needed to find your smiles again.

Williams Family said...

OK, I have to comment on this post. It's the Williams Family here. Self confessed Disneyphiles! You are right, it is about the total buy in; the buy in to the fantasy. If you read the sign on the tunnel that leads under the train track into the Magic Kingdom is says that you will leave yesterday behind and enter a world of fantasy. Since we stay on property, that immersion is complete. Unless we turn on the news on TV in our room in the evening or morning, which we typically don't due unless it is to hear the weather, we are in a completely different world when at the World on vacation. We have had moments at the airport when the TV's are blaring the latest news and realize that we have been cut off, so to speak, for however long our journey has lasted. That feeling. . . of being in a different world, almost like being in a bubble, that feeling that your all your dreams can come true with a bit of hope, trust, and pixie dust. . . that feeling is one of the most magical feelings in the world. And, Liz, that is Sully--just ask him! °o°

Susan W. said...

Liz, As you know I totally buy into the fantasy. I can never get enough Disney and we try to spread out our visits every 2-3 years. If our plane lands anytime before 5:00 p.m. we make sure we enter the Magic Kingdom the first night to feel the fantasy world as that is the place the magic begins. Don't worry we have many pictures of the kids crying or not interested and the adults are there with the characters looking like grown up dorks, but there are many magical moments when they buy into the magic of the characters themselves.

Julie Weite said...

Liz...I love this blog post! So stinkin' sincere and so stinkin' REAL!! So glad you found your smile and you truly enjoyed your time with Sully!! Continue on with this passion, outlook, and zest for life and the world will be yours :) I'm deeply inspired by the journey you have been on the past 5 or so years and have absolutely loved seeing all ... See Moreyour Disney photos....makes me want to take a family trip down there and let my kids experience THE MAGIC before they do get to that point in their lives where they know it is just a man in a suit... Once again, wonderful post, and I'm looking forward to following you onto that cruise of yours you guys have coming up ;) BEAUTIFUL!!!